Since 2005, Burnham motor club have donated an incredible £5,865.00 to the Dorset and Somerset Air Ambulance!! That’s outstanding, it’s a fantastic cause and well worth the effort from our amazing team raising the money. Mary from the Abbey tea rooms in Glastonbury has been a huge part of the donations in the last few years, donating hundreds of pounds though our charity classic car tour. This years event will be held on the 14th of July. Separately to this, We have also donated lots to this great charity through the Somerset stages rally, which was ran in partnership with Minehead motorclub.
We would like to say a huge thankyou to all of you who have helped us donate to them over the years.
We have a new event on our calendar, as the Somerset stages is not an event which we can hold at the moment, the organisers have come up with another fantastic event. The Somerset Seeker Targa is a new event planned to take place in April in and around Minehead using the roads and routes previously used by the Somerset Stages Rally. The very experienced organising team of the Somerset Stages is now running this event for this year and it is being promoted by Burnham on Sea and Minehead Motor Clubs.
We will be offering up to 42 competitive miles with very low road mileage sections . It will be a round of the ASWMC Targa championship. If you would like more information, please click the link on the main page of this website, on the right hand side.
Congratulations to Committee and club member Jonathan Williamson, he has won second in class for the ‘2018 British Hillclimb leaders Championship.’ He received his award at the British Hillclimb Championship annual dinner and awards evening. He can often be seen battling against the very best at Wiscombe Park in his white Porsche.
Well Done Jonathan, VERY well deserved, indeed.
Here are some 2019 Burnham Motor Club event dates for the diary:
- 19th January – Christmas quiz (just a touch late that’s all) held at the Red Cow this year, great night, general knowledge, details to be sent out asap.
- 9th February – Dinner and awards evening, Book your places and join us for our annual Dinner and awards presentation evening, with guest speaker, at Batch country house, Lympsham. Always a great social event, great company and great food.
- 25th February – Noggin and Natter, monthly winter catch up at the Red Cow, 8pm to talk about anything and everything.
- 13th April – Somerset Seekers Targa, Targa event held in Minehead using some of the Somerset Stages gravel roads. Marshals will be needed.
- 19th May – Wildlife Wiscombe, great days action at Wiscombe hill climb. Unless competing, why not come along and support your club on the hill and help with some marshalling.
- 16th June – Wildlife Rally (Smeatharpe) this is a stage rally on a disused airfield (known officially as RAF Upottery, locally known as Smeatharpe), which was built as a standard RAF Class ‘A’ bomber base, during the second world war, opening 1942 and closed in 1948.Smeatharpe is a non-spectator event how ever we will need marshals, which means you can still get close to the action.
- 14th July – Andy Simm Classic Tour, this is a classic tour in aid of the Dorset and Somerset air ambulance. In the last few years we have raised thousands for them, its always a good turn out so book early so you don’t get disappointed. 35+ vehicles and over 80 people for the last few years.
- 14/15 September – Wiscombe 5 clubs, great days action at Wiscombe hill climb. Unless competing, why not come along and support your club on the hill and help with some marshalling.
- 9th November – The Bustard Targa, the Bustard Rally is the natural successor to the Great Bustard Endurance Rally. This is usually at the Glastonbury Festival site, we help to marshal the event.
- 10th November – Rally of the tests, gruelling 3 day HERO event which we normally help with some marshalling.
It’s with great sadness we have to mention the passing of Richard King. Richard was key to Getting Wildlife Autosport going, and the very popular Cricket St Thomas Hill Climbs.
The funeral will be held on Monday 19th February, at Taunton Crematorium at 12.30pm.
Afterwards at the Somerset Cricket Club.
It was Brean Rally this weekend, Burnham Motor Club helped out with running the finish control, me and Natalie and a gargantuan amount of other marshals from Burnham and surrounding clubs were there and we all got absolutely soaked, it didn’t stop raining all day, but that didn’t bother us – it was a great action packed day. It looked to us, like the RWD escorts had the biggest crashes, most of the ones which had entered were battered and bruised, almost everytime they came into the finish they had panels missing or huge sections of bodywork caved in. The event was down on entry numbers from previous years, I don’t think this made any difference to the events running, but we are worried this is the sign of the times with rallying.
Thankyou to all the Marshals from our club who helped us, we really appreciate you helping us to create a great event for all.
The Results at the end of the weekend are as follows:
1st over all and 1st in class E Newby/Leech – Subaru Impreza
2nd Munden/Eccles – Subaru Impreza
3rd Cooper/Davis – Mitsubishi Evo9
1st in class A Davis/Richings – Vauxhall Corsa
1st in class B Bliss/Vaughan – Honda Civic
1st in class C Payton/Mizenn – Ford Escort mk2
1st in class D Carr/Pippen – Ford Escort RS